Thirteen Years Later

Rate this topic

Libby

And I will have to agree that "Human Essence" is the worst MM ever.

"A Single Blade of Grass" is probably my least favourite, with "Jose Chung" and "Somehow the devil got behind me" following close behind.

• Elders (Admins)

Some brief responses:

Gra:

Well, now at least I know it isn't just me. As for what they were thinking - perhaps they were just trying to be funny - didn't work for me, though.

I have to say there were some elements of this episode that I thought interesting. It was certainly the least favourite of mine though.

Gra.

• 1 month later...
Guest Polaroid Stalker

pibbsneaker,

In response to seeing KISS in Season One, I would gave gone, in a voice very much like Frank Black: "What the hell was that?!"

-- The Stalker

"I smell the blood and the era of prominent madmen."

-- W.H. Auden (Gehenna)

• 9 months later...
Guest WaveCrest

I haven't seen a lot of "...Thirteen Years Later", only the teaser which was very effective. I know of the various horror movie references in it. When having a look at it after I'd taped it off Sci-fi I was looking at the bit towards the end when there appear to be two Frank Blacks.

I watched the very last scene in the prison with the murderer talking in a strange voice. It was what was mentioned at the start of the thread : "two thumbs". But it sounded like "two tumbs fresh" quote from a UK advert for tea bags! His face reminded me of the actor who played Donnie Pfaster in XF episodes "Irresistible" and "Orison".

So of what I've seen so far I like the look of the episode but not that last scene. Dosen't look right.

I've seen a cast promo pic of Lance Henriksen sitting in the middle of a photo with KISS in make-up, along with an episode still of Frank standing in a film studio with cast members/extras in Frankenstein character costumes and Emma Hollis going down some stairs in a red-lit part of the studio holding her gun.

Edited by WaveCrest

Guest chrisnu

I strongly dislike this episode as well. I thought it was continuing the trend of (in my opinion) dumbing down the series to appeal to a wider audience. Both Frank and Emma are both way out of character, and the campy overacting is outrageous. I know it was intended, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. And the cameo by KISS was just over-the-top. Just like that music video stuck in the middle of "The Time Is Now". "... Thirteen Years Later" is just another episode I don't like stuck in the middle of 6 episodes I don't like at the beginning of Season 3. "Human Essence" is my least favorite episode as well.

PS. The only part I really enjoyed in "...Thirteen Years Later" was Frank profiling the killers in the movies, and the killer's Frank impersonation.

PPS. I thought "Omerta" was an OK episode, burdened greatly by the absolutely putrid score. Sorry for the harsh opinion, but it's just grating.

Edited by chrisnu

I strongly dislike this episode as well. I thought it was continuing the trend of (in my opinion) dumbing down the series to appeal to a wider audience. Both Frank and Emma are both way out of character, and the campy overacting is outrageous. I know it was intended, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. And the cameo by KISS was just over-the-top. Just like that music video stuck in the middle of "The Time Is Now". "... Thirteen Years Later" is just another episode I don't like stuck in the middle of 6 episodes I don't like at the beginning of Season 3. "Human Essence" is my least favorite episode as well.

PS. The only part I really enjoyed in "...Thirteen Years Later" was Frank profiling the killers in the movies, and the killer's Frank impersonation.

PPS. I thought "Omerta" was an OK episode, burdened greatly by the absolutely putrid score. Sorry for the harsh opinion, but it's just grating.

..you are not the only one who feels the music in omerta was absolutely horrid. definately a low point for the great Mark Snow. -(it sounded like he hired those high pitched poodles that did the original star trek theme..........except that i like the original star trek theme!)

.....HARSH and proud! :wink:

se7en :ouro:

Guest LauraKrycek

I think that the campiness, out-of-characterness, and over-the-topness in "...Thirteen Years Later" was intended, and it was to make fun of the entire genre of horror films, because that's how they are. My sister's a huge horror movie fan in that she likes to watch them and make fun of them, so I see it as being like that. I mean, in the movie "Valentine", a character get suffocated, drowned, drilled, and electrocuted to death. If that's not over-the-top, I don't know what is.

And as for the "Omerta" score -- hey, I liked it! I love that episode. It's one of the few I actually have on tape (I'd love to have all of them if I could, but as it is almost all that I own are the ones I love the most).