World breaks monthly heat record 2 times in a row

Rate this topic

Earthnut

World breaks monthly heat record 2 times in a row
By SETH BORENSTEIN

WASHINGTON (AP) — The globe is on a hot streak, setting a heat record in June. That's after the world broke a record in May.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced Monday that last month's average global temperature was 61.2 degrees, which is 1.3 degrees higher than the 20th century average. It beat 2010's old record by one-twentieth of a degree.
While one-twentieth of a degree doesn't sound like much, in temperature records it's like winning a horse race by several lengths, said NOAA climate monitoring chief Derek Arndt.
And that's only part of it. The world's oceans not only broke a monthly heat record at 62.7 degrees, but it was the hottest the oceans have been on record no matter what the month, Arndt said.
"We are living in the steroid era of the climate system," Arndt said.
Arndt said both the June and May records were driven by unusually hot oceans, especially the Pacific and Indian oceans.
Heat records in June broke on every continent but Antarctica, especially in New Zealand, northern South America, Greenland, central Africa and southern Asia.
The United States had only its 33rd hottest June.
All 12 of the world's monthly heat records have been set after 1997, more than half in the last decade. All the global cold monthly records were set before 1917.
And with a likely El Nino this year — the warming of the tropical Pacific which influences the world's weather and increases global temperatures — it is starting to look like another extra warm year, said University of Arizona climate scientist Jonathan Overpeck.
The first six months of the year are the third warmest first six months on record, coming behind 2010 and 1998, according to NOAA
Global temperature records go back to 1880 and this is the 352nd hotter than average month in a row.
"This is what global warming looks like," Overpeck said in an email. "Not record hot everywhere all the time, but certainly a reflection that the odds of record hot are going up everywhere around the planet."

What about the humidity? That's gone up in a lot of places, making it feel hotter. We have 103 coming this Saturday, which means it's much hotter after adding the humidity. Dread it because I will be on the highway Saturday instead of staying home and cool.

• Elders (Moderators)

I watched a documentary a little while ago that said something about mangrove trees extending further north on the Atlantic coast of Florida than ever before, because increasing temperatures have allowed them to do that. And I read recently that some insect species are moving north into new territory because of the increased temperatures, and some of those insects are vectors for diseases such as malaria.

I do realise that global weather is difficult to understand (I'm only at the beginner stage) but I do wish that there were better explanations of what increased global temperature actually means. More heat means more energy, so energetic systems such as hurricanes and snow-storms end up being bigger. We still don't fully understand the jet stream, which can have an effect way much further than the UK-centric and US/Canada-centric weather forecasts have enough time to explain.

And rises in sea level need to be better explained. A very small rise maybe doesn't seem to be much of a problem on coasts with very tall cliffs, but on shallow beaches a small rise "up" also means a very long way "in". The Maldives is an island group in the India Ocean; the highest point above sea-level is just over 7 feet, so the islands are very flat. It won't take much of a sea-level rise to submerge them. In fact, they're already making plans for when they have to evacuate for good.

LIbby, I'm a beginner as well, and try and find as much time as possible to study. NASA has a great article on this subject, Here's the link ~

https://climate.nasa.gov/effects/

A quote from the site by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change ~

Taken as a whole, the range of published evidence indicates that the net damage costs of climate change are likely to be significant and to increase over time.

The IPCC also has forecasts of regional impacts of global change.

The article also has "Global Climate Change: Recent Impacts," and "Future Trends."