New Night Stalker News

Rate this topic

Reelz.com

After helping make the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise one of the most successful in movie history, Johnny Depp could probably do just about any movie he wants. Thankfully, Depp isn't playing it safe (although returning for a fifth Pirates could be considered just that) and has lined up a string of interesting roles for himself, such as the 200-year-old vampire Barnabas Collins in May's Dark Shadows and Tonto in the currently-in-production The Lone Ranger.

Further out on the horizon for Depp is two remakes — one, a remake of the 1934 mystery/comedy The Thin Man and the other is a big-screen adaptation of the 1970s ABC TV movie The Night Stalker and subsequent TV series Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

While the former already has director Rob Marshall attached (Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides) attached and David Keoepp (Jurassic Park) writing the screenplay, The Night Stalker, which Depp helped set up at Disney last summer, took another step forward with the addition of director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World).

While many might be unfamiliar with The Night Stalker movie and TV series, both starred Darren McGavin as Carl Kolchak, a tabloid reporter whose stories usually led him to something supernatural, including zombies, werewolves, vampires, and aliens. Depp reportedly has great fondness for the series and Disney is setting up the movie adaptation to be a family-friendly affair with a PG-13 rating.

Wright, considering his directorial past, seems like a perfect fit for the material. While no screenwriter has been named for the project, Wright will "oversee and shape the project" alongside Depp and producing partner Christi Dembrowski, Deadline reports.

Considering the lack of the screenplay, we expect that The Thin Man will likely make it to production before The Night Stalker, but consider us intrigued by what Depp and Wright will be able to pull off together.

I really like Depp but I'm just having a hard time seeing him as Nick Charles. Powell and Loy were perfection I wouldn't go there but I guess he's got something in mind.

Kolchak would be a cool remake. We shall see.

• 2 years later...

Since Edgar Wright left the directing job for Marvel's Ant-Man, it looks like he will now have more time to spend on The Night Stalker movie. On the other hand Johnny Depp's availability is scarce due to working on three movies in the next three years. The Night Stalker is still listed as being in development.